This is old news, but I have to blog it for the record because it was such a huge goal! I set a goal back in December to learn to swim well enough to complete the Boise Ironman 70.3. I met an awesome swim coach and starting swimming my heart out! The swim distance was 1.2 miles and at that point, I had never even swam 50 meters without hyperventilating at the wall. The event was the best and worst athletic experience of my life all in one. Thanks so much to my support crew of the Haguewoods and Baldridges. Believe me, I couldn't wait to see their smiling faces.
The weather was great until about 15 minutes before my heat started. Then the wind started to blow. I wanted to cry when I saw the whitecaps in the water. I have never swam in anything but perfect calm water. (I am one of the swimmers hanging on the dock in the picture). I literally thought I was going to drown. I have never been so scared in my life. I have never started in a large group so that just topped it off. When I tried to take my first breath, a wave crashed right on my air-pocket. I grabbed onto every kayak I could. The buoys started to blow away so the course was unclear. I got pulled back on course a couple times by the kayaks. Nice. My swim time was 57 minutes. Almost 20 minutes more than I had hoped for. I was really discouraged coming out of the water...
The bike was more miserable, but not as scary. The wind continued to blow and it started to pour about 2 miles into the 56 mile ride. It poured and hailed and blew the whole time! The climbs were slow up and down with the no pass zones because of the slick roads. By about mile 35, I wanted off my bike so bad. By mile 50, I thought I was going to fall off my bike frozen. I was shaking so bad by the end, I couldn't barely hold on...I was wondering at this point if I would even be able to run at all...yuck! My bike time was 3:09.
The bike was more miserable, but not as scary. The wind continued to blow and it started to pour about 2 miles into the 56 mile ride. It poured and hailed and blew the whole time! The climbs were slow up and down with the no pass zones because of the slick roads. By about mile 35, I wanted off my bike so bad. By mile 50, I thought I was going to fall off my bike frozen. I was shaking so bad by the end, I couldn't barely hold on...I was wondering at this point if I would even be able to run at all...yuck! My bike time was 3:09.
The run was a completely different story. I warmed up after about 2 miles and felt so warm and safe :). It was sprinkling a little at this point, but the run was along the river trail and protected by trees. There were about 10 people from our training group in the race, so I was able to see most of them on the run course which helps with motivation. The run was a half-marathon (13.1 miles) and my time was 1:40. (splits:9:36-pit stop, 7:28, 7:35, 7:29, 7:25, 7:43, 8:52-pit stop, 7:26, 7:27, 7:40, 7:18, 7:42, 6:46.)
I have never been so happy in my life to see a finish-line. It was a huge accomplishment for me. My finish time was 5:57.
11 comments:
Ok Holly, so you are my idol!! I'm adding you to my blog list so that I can read your successes & keep my motivation!! You ROCK girl!!!
You are the ironwoman! I admire you so much--I love your determination and enthusiasm.
Good for you Holly! I bet it did feel good to have family and friends there to support you. Did you convince Ty to do it next year??!!
WOW!! Great job Holly! I am amazed that you were able to conquer you weakness of swimming. I definitely need to learn how to swim. I cannot believe you did the 1/2 marathon so fast after everything else you'd already done. You must be incredibly great shape. WAY TO GO!
THat is awesome Holly. Good job. That did sound miserable though. I hate swimming in windy waters. I have a hard enough time in the lake after being used to the pool. Next year I kind of want to do an Olympic triathlon and I think that swim is a mile and that's the only worry I have about it. That's great that you did the Ironman. Are you going to do it again?
You are amazing...even when Mother Nature doesn't cooperate! And now looking back I'm sure you realize that dealing with those white caps, freezing temperatures and pouring rain proves even more your amazing capabilities. You ARE an IRONMAN...or woman.:)
Wow Holly! Great job! I miss you and I am so excited to see you guys at the cabin. I am all for the Thursday night thing, so we will see you then!
You rock H! Way to conquer your fear of the water and your goal... now, time to conquer the mosquitos!
So you obviously have a medal around your neck . . . so I'm just guessing that you rocked enough to totally win everything. Way to go! You are my hero. I've seen you do amazing things - over and over again.
That is awesome!! I was wondering how it went.
great job Holly! hats off to you! you amaze me and you should feel really proud of your accomplishment. that is something to brag about!
Post a Comment