Adam rode the next section from Montpelier to Alpine. He was such a trooper. He got stuck climbing the King of the Mountain and he did awesome. He has become a really good climber. I was so proud of him! He wasn't wasting any time on his legs and rode a blazing fast pace.
I rode the finish from Alpine to Jackson. I started out all alone until I caught Ponytail man...That's the guy behind me. He had this long crunchy black braid down his back. We worked together for about 5 miles and then this really fast group of guys ascended behind us...I was like crap, Ponytail man is going to leave. He yells to me "Come on, you're coming with us!" I decided I didn't have much to lose. I could always drop off if I had too. I knew I had fresh legs and these guys didn't so we were off.
We kept the group together for the remaining 47 miles. We had a massive headwind for most of the day. The group really helped. We ended up averaging about 22 mph for the last 50 miles so that was really good for me. It's actually the fastest overall average I have had on any ride.
Adam and I at the finish. It took us 10:32 to finish the race which is around 20 mph average. Not too bad for us considering the climbs.
11 comments:
Seriously woman, you are amazing. I can't believe the things you do. It looks like you and Adam had a great time. I love reading about all of your adventures.
Yeah!!! Holly you are incredible. That's so great that you have such a close relationship with Adam. You guys did really good...you sound like a pro now. It's interesting how people are when you're all in it together. Once the race has started, everyone really is there for each other, even if you aren't on the same team. It's like your victory is their victory. Looks like you've made a new friend with "ponytail man".
Geez, such an athletic family!! I jog to my mail box and get exhausted. Wow, you are my idol! And your children are adorable.
HOLLY! I thought I knew how amazing you were in high school and college running hurdles and the 800 but I can't believe you're still kicking butt! Three kids and everything. Way to go!
That is so cool Holly. I'm very impressed. It makes me want to do it, although I don't think I could keep up with men for 47 miles. But it would be fun to do it with Jon. Good job to you and Adam
Wow!! You are amazing Holly. Way to go....I love reading your stories. I need to take a few pages out of your book!!!!
I love having a friend that likes to work out. So whenever a conversation turns to sports I can participate by saying things like "my friend Holly runs..." or "my friend Holly rides a bike".
Congrats on your big race!!!
Way to go Holly! You are amazing.
Hey Holly! So, I'v never commented on your blog before (didn't really realize I could :)), but I wanted you to know that I love reading it. Some day when I'm not so strapped for time, I think I'll start one. 'Till then I guess it's the yearly Christmas letter.
I am so envious of how in shape you are. Holy cow--it makes me feel like a slug. I wouldn't expect anything different from you though. Some day, when my hubby doesn't work so much, I would love to have the time to get back in shape. However, I don't think I'll ever get into biking--I still have bad memories of bike workouts at BYU when I was injured. Way to go woman--I mean SUPER MOM!
Becky Smith
Whats there to say other than your amazing. I don't think you have lived a boring day in your life. What a great accomplishment for you and Adam. It must have taken a lot of determination. Way to go!
That looks SO fun! I cant believe you did LOTOJA AND TOU Marathon!!! That is a lot of intense exercise for one month! You rock. I wish you lived next door to me so we could work out together. I alternate running and cycling every other day for my workouts. Maybe I'll come to Utah next spring and ride Little Red Riding hood. We should do it together!
-Nan
Post a Comment